All About Dat BASE

Warning for the light-hearted: This is definitely a TL;DR post; it is incredibly LONG. You might need to lie down after this one.

I’ve tried SO many foundations and concealers from the drugstore, and none from higher-end brands. Many of the products I use I’ve researched endlessly about, and several have been famous dupes for some of the higher-end ones.
My base routine goes something like this: (1) Moisturize, (2) Prime, (3) Foundation, (4) Concealer, (5) Powder. Sometimes I do my concealer before my foundation. Sometimes I don’t prime, conceal, or powder at all. Sometimes I also add cream contour/highlight and blush before powdering as well, but that’ll be explored in a later blog post.

(1) Moisturize/(2) Prime:


image


I used to be a HUGE Clinique fan; I used their yellow Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (found here for $26), as well as their Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief (found here for $52), which are fantastic moisturizers. These were the products I used to use when I still lived at home and my mom bought all of my makeup. Now that I’m moved out and am relying on my own budget, I’ve had to explore other options.

Firstly, I now use the Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 15 for combination/oily skin (found here for $10), which is a dupe for the DDML from Clinique. Both are creamy and very emollient, and are opaque in color. I usually reserve both for the autumn and for winter, when my skin is dry because of the emollience. I find that, when using the Olay CADM, oil does form on my T-zone, specifically my forehead, after about six hours. But for over half the cost, I’ll happily blot and powder. Because the Olay also has SPF and the Clinique does not, you also get the lovely stinging sensation in your eye if you get ANY trace of the SPF in, which does not happen with the Clinique DDML. Just an FYI for all the contact wearers out there - it’s not fun when this happens. I chose the combo/oily skin option because the moisturizer is so emollient - opting for this style can help reduce the oil that accumulates.

For mostly every day, I now use the Garnier USA Moisture Rescue Gel Cream for dry skin (found here for $6). This is a dupe for the Clinique MS. Both have the exact same effect on my skin, and leave a dry, satin finish. These moisturizers are NOT emollient whatsoever, and I find I can use them under my eyes without fearing the SPF sting. For almost a ninth of the price, this product is a complete dupe and I won’t be going back to the Moisture Surge.

The only primer I use is the Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser(found here for $7). I reserve this primer for those days when my skin just seems bumpy and gross, and I want to reduce any pores. I apply it only in places where I feel I need to, and not all over the face. It works! It really does instantly erase pores. A dupe is the E.L.F. Mineral Infused Primer in clear (found here for $6), which I have tried and finished. I loved the pump, but prefer the Baby Skin because of the squeezable tube - it’s your own preferences. I find that the E.L.F. primer is not quite as instant, but has the same effect once the foundation is applied.

(3) Foundation:


image


While I’ve only worn foundation for about a year and a half, I have gone through so. Many. Drugstore. Foundations. And have thrown away SO MANY (sad face for my bank account). These are my favorites, and the only ones I’ll be buying, at least for a while. For foundation, I look for light/medium buildable coverage with a luminous, satin finish. Two of the foundations I own are luminous while the other two are more matte, though all have a satin finish.

The first is the L’Oreal True Match in the shade Nude Beige W3 (found herefor $11). This foundation is a universal favorite by beauty bloggers across the world. It was the first foundation I ever bought that I actually loved! I find that the best way to apply this foundation is with my fingers because it does dry and set pretty quickly, so the warmth of my skin helps elongate the application. This foundation doesn’t oxidize, and as a warning, you should go a shade darker than you would normally because the SPF does throw a white cast in flash photography. I’m okay with this shade because I use bronzer and I contour quite a bit, so the foundation actually ends up looking like a highlight. I have to mention though - for dryer skin types, like myself - this foundation does set to an almost powdery finish, which I personally don’t like. I reserve this base for hotter, more humid days.

The second is a sister foundation to the first, the L’Oreal True Match Lumi in the same shade, Nude Beige W3 (found here for $13).While slightly more expensive, I will shell out the extra $2 ANY day, because this is my absolute favorite foundation - my holy grail. I LOVE the finish of this base - very luminous without looking greasy, and my skin feels like skin once it has set. Although it is the same shade, the Lumi version is ever so slightly darker, and although it does have SPF, it does not throw a white cast with flash! It also comes with a PUMP, which is so much more hygenic and convenient. This was the last foundation I’ve purchased and is my daily foundation.

A third option is the Maybelline Fit Me Dewy + Smooth in the shade 220 Natural Beige for normal to dry skin (found here for $8). They did change their packaging, and now the 220 shade is now 120. While this foundation does have an SPF, it oxidizes like CRAZY. While I absolutely love the truly dewy and smooth finish, I can only use this foundation when my skin is at its driest. I tried it once on a warm, sunny day last fall and my face and parts of my neck ended up being two shades darker by 2 p.m. Not attractive at all. I’ve been meaning to try the sister Matte + Poreless version because Kathleen Lights uses it and she has dry skin like me, but I haven’t been willing to shell out any cash for foundation when I’ve already fallen for the True Match Lumi. Love the one you’re with, right?!

The last foundation I’m going to mention is the Revlon Colorstay in the shade 240 Medium Beige for combination/oily skin (found here for $13). While I love this foundation, I want to try it in its normal/dry skin counterpart. Much like the True Match original, it doesn’t oxidize and even without an SPF, it throws a white cast in flash photography. It also sets with a powdery finish. As for the 24 hour claim, I don’t usually wear makeup on my face for longer than 12 hours. From what I can see, all the foundations I’ve mentioned have lasted the full amount of time I’ve worn them. This is another foundation I find is better applied with fingers, and one that I reserve for hotter, more humid days. I think I also need to reassess the shade and go for two shades darker.

(4) Concealer:


image


Because there are so many, I’m going to try to only dip into the details of these concealers. I do rotate between all of these, though I do prefer some over others.

The only concealer I use for spot concealing is the one on the far left. It is the Avon Ideal Flawless Concealer Stick in the shade R03 792-006 Neutral(found here for $7). This is because, much like the Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage, it is too thick and waxy to apply directly under the eyes without a mixing medium. It’s an oldie, but a goodie.

The two concealers I use to correct or neutralize are the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Spot Corrector in 225 Light/Medium (found herefor $10) and the CoverGirl TruBlend Fixstick Concealer in the shade Medium Light, or M-1,2,3,4 (found here for $9), the second to which I owe toShameless Fripperies - I have an inherent mistrust in CoverGirl products for some reason; they’ve never worked for me! The former I use to cancel any darkness under my eyes because it is salmon colored and has a thin but comfortable consistency, and the latter I use to neutralize any spots or darkness because it is emollient, waxy, and creamy and is a perfect shade match for my skin. I do want to try the Maybelline IARE Dark Circle Corrector for undereye concealing, but, again, LOVE THE ONE YOU’RE WITH, RIGHT?!

The four concealers I use for undereye brightening are the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer in Buff (found here for $8), theMaybelline Fit Me Concealer in 20 Sand (found here for $7), the CoverGirl TruBlend Fixstick Concealer in the shade Light, or L-5,6,7 (found here for $9), and the NYX HD Concealer Wand in CW 06 Glow (found here for $5). My favorite as of late has been the NYX, which has been labelled as a dupe for MAC’s Pro Longwear Concealer (found here for $20); it is extremely longlasting and pigmented and has a thin consistency which is ideal for blending. My least favorite as of late has been the Dream Lumi Touch, which has been labelled a dupe for the YSL Touche Éclat Radiance Concealer(found here for $42), simply because I feel that I might be allergic to one of the ingredients. Every time I use it, the finish and effect is perfect, but after 10 minutes, I get little lumps under my eye that creep me out, so I keep this concealer to highlight other parts of my face now. The Fit Me concealer and the TruBlend are fantastic as well, but both are very creamy and require almost instantaneous setting with a powder, as both crease like a mofo.

Finally, (5) Powder:


image

image


These two powders are my ride-or-dies. The first, the Maybelline Fit Me Pressed Powder in 220 Natural Beige (found here for $8) is my favorite because it is very lightweight, essentially translucent, and is ideal for setting the undereye. It has been labelled a dupe for the Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder (found here for $37). The second, the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 20 Nude Beige (found here for $5), has a slightly higher coverage, and I almost feel like it can feel heavy when packing it on, which is something I don’t experience with the Fit Me powder. The Rimmel does stay matte for a much longer period than the Fit Me does, which is why I love using it for warmer weather.
Last but certainly not least, I did want to add this:

BRUSHES.



image


I won’t go into detail about the specifics, but I will mention what types of brushes I recommend using for certain products. You can absolutely do whatever - there are NO rules in makeup. I prefer to apply certain foundations with a flat paddle brush (the first brush in the right-hand picture) and then buff it in with a flat, dense, synthetic brush (the second and third in the right-hand picture). I like to pack on the powder under my eyes with a small, fluffy, domed brush for the shape (the third brush in the left-hand picture), and to set the affected portions of my face with a larger, fluffier brush (the second brush in the left-hand picture).

Once again, thank you if you made it down this far! You deserve a nap. Or a piece of cake. Either way, I appreciate you and send you virtual hugs and kisses.

Xoxo, Kassy

No comments:

Post a Comment